I’ve made mention of this a few times in comments, but our lives are a bit upside down at the moment. While I accepted the position at the company that bought out mine, I have been looking. And I found a position that sounds perfect for me. It’s in Pittsburgh, at my alma mater of Carnegie Mellon University.
I’ve applied, and based on conversations, it’s practically mine. I have a formal in-person interview on Monday with the other departments I’d be working with to make sure personalities mesh. I gave them a salary number and they didn’t blink, and they’re putting together a relocation package for me to look over. And they offered to send Dad’s resume to the campus HR group to help him find a position in Pittsburgh as well (at the university or nearby).
There’s a lot to think about.
It’s one thing to uproot yourself and move when you’re single. There’s a lot more to consider when you’d be uprooting your entire family.
I wouldn’t start work until mid-August, so there’s time to consider it and get our house ready to sell, and do all the other stuff that’s needed to move – like find a house/rental in Pittsburgh. We’d also have to work around a few (local DC) concerts we already have tickets for, and our trip to New York to see The Last Ship. And our big 2-week vacation in October – we’ll just have to take leave without pay for both of us in new positions. But all those things are down here in DC or start from here. It’s a 4 hour drive to get here and we’ll have a place to stay (with Dad’s Dad), so it’s not unreasonable to come back.
This job sounds almost exactly what I was looking for – of course, I’ll find out more at the interview, but you never really know until you’re there. I’m guessing that the environment is casual (it is a university!), and they have great benefits (8% into Vanguard – I don’t need to contribute to get it, it’s just there with a vesting schedule). 17 days vacation plus holidays – to start with. Sounds great!
Dad would have to find another job – we’d lose about $17,000 in our retirement accounts as we lose Dad’s unvested balance. Not the end of the world, and we can make it up with contributions, but still a “cost”. The cost-of-living isn’t as high in Pittsburgh (it’s about 80% of DC), so we don’t expect the salaries to be as high either – I asked for under my current salary, which is “more” relatively.
Until we make a decision, we’re not paying off the mortgage any earlier, or spending a lot of money on anything. I don’t particularly like being so unsettled. The other option is to remain where I am and hope for the best…